Riverbank House bed and breakfast guests will never be at a loss for something to do: Chatsworth House, home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, with its magnificent house and grounds; historic Haddon Hall, recently used to film Jane Eyre; Hardwick Hall; Kedleston Hall. All are within easy driving distance.
Nearby are Tissington Hall, Calke Abbey and Bolsover Castle... such beautiful places to visit. The village of Eyam (known as the plague village) Bakewell (famous for its puddings) and Chesterfield (of crooked spire fame) are also close by.
Also nearby are: the National Tramway Village at Crich, also known as Cardale for the filming of “Peak Practice”; Midland Railway Centre; Peak Rail; Red HouseWorking Carriage Museum; Arkwright's historic Cromford; and Masson Mills working textile museum, recently given World Heritage status for its importance in British Industrial history.
Alton Towers theme park, Denby Pottery - Royal Crown Derby, Royal Doulton and Wedgwood - are all within reach of the Peak District. Visit enchanting villages: beautiful Dovedale; Monsal Head; Lathkill Dale; the Manifold Valley; or Kinder Scout. There is something for walkers of all abilities. Leave Kinder for the fitter but enjoy the beauty of the High Peak Trail, or the Tissington Trail. Bicycles are available for hire too.
Here is an ordered list, for your convenience, of some of the more popular activities:
- Trout, grayling & chubb fishing from our garden
- Walking in the Dales
- Rock climbing in and around the Peak District
- Potholing and caving in the Peak District
- Alton Towers theme park, water park and spa
- Gulliver's theme park rides, shows and attractions and exciting roller coasters
- Crich Tramway Village is a lovingly restored period village that is also home to the National Tramway Museum and its world renowned archives
- Cable car to the heights of Abraham, one of the Peak District’s oldest and most popular days out, an attraction where stunning natural beauty is matched by human achievement and the historic blends seamlessly with the futuristic.
- Chatsworth House, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire
- Haddon Hall, a fortified medieval manor house dating from the 12th Century
- Local Factory Shops which defy you to buy cheaper clothing
- The Peak District, Britain's first National Park
- Peak District and Derbyshire, places to visit
- The small picturesque town of Matlock is ideally situated as a base for exploring the area with its almost endless variety of interesting places ranging from the natural beauty of the Peaks, Dales and Caverns through wildlife, stately homes and museums.